Thursday, February 06, 2003

STATIC IN AFRICA

"When the Hawkins family vacations in Ghana, Static teams up with African superhero Anansi (Carl Lumbly) to stop Osebo the Leopard (Michael Jai White) from stealing an ancient treasure. {CC, Stereo}"

Saturday, February 8, 10:30 Eastern, 9:30 Central on the Kids WB

"Static In Africa" is my favorite episode of all the cartoons I've worked on so far. Virgil Hawkins and family take a trip to Ghana, West Africa, where Static teams up with that continent's greatest super hero, Anansi, in a battle with Osebo, the Leopard. Everything came together beautifully, terrific direction and animation, gorgeous painted backgrounds of locations in and around Ghana, outstanding performances (as usual) from the regular cast and wonderful guest turns from Carl Lumbly, Michael Jai White and Roscoe Lee Brown. Did I mention the musical score? I should have.

Also, I think this is a particularly fitting episode for Black History Month. Originally this episode was titled "Role Models" and while the title changed along the way, the intent didn't. To me, this is an important part of what Static Shock is all about.